Home › Forums › Trail Conditions & Trail Work › New Sawyer Cert training
- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 10 months ago by Dadebud.
March 18, 2021 at 7:24 am #26906ptoKeymaster
Early Bird sign-up for Cascade Volunteers May saw classes is now OPEN for qualified volunteers. This is not a race—you have from noon March 18 until noon March 30th to sign up on BetterImpact. If the number of registrants exceeds the class size of sixteen, there will be a lottery selection and the remaining applicants will be put on a wait list. If the class does not fill during Early Bird Registration the remaining spots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis from any volunteer who is signed up through Cascade Volunteers. Please do not sign up if you already have a saw card—there is a different process for re-certification.
To qualify for Early Bird registration you must:
1) Be signed up under Cascade Volunteers with completed volunteer agreement and JHAs. If you haven’t done this yet, follow this link: https://cascadevols.org/volunteer/
2) Have put in 32+ hours (or four full days) of volunteer work on the Willamette National Forest in 2019-2020. When you sign up you will be asked to give a crew leader reference, and your hours will be checked in MyImpact.
3) Be 16 years old for crosscut training or 18 for chainsaw.
4) Have active CPR and First Aid cards at the time of training OR sign up for the on-site sawyer first aid class the Friday before your event (recommended). A link to sign up for FA/CPR will be provided to those who are accepted into the saw classes.
WHAT: Two-day class for crosscut or power saw training that may lead to A or B level Forest Service saw certification. There is no fee. Participants must bring basic PPE (lace-up sturdy boots, gloves, eye protection, hard hat, ear protection for chainsaw.) For cross-cut classes there will be saws to use, or bring your own. For chainsaw classes there will be a few sets of chaps to borrow. Plan to bring a saw in good running condition.
WHEN: Chainsaw May 8-9, crosscut saw May 22-23, 2021. Each day requires attendance from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Saturday is a didactic class outdoors under a gazebo; Sunday is practice and evaluation in the field.
WHERE: Fish Lake Guard Station, near Clear Lake on Hwy 126. Camping is available onsite. Participants will bring and prepare their own food.
HOW DO I SIGN UP: Log in to your Better Impact account and look for the event on the Cascade Volunteers event list or calendar. You will be signed up for both days when you click on the Saturday date.
QUESTIONS? Contact Beth Dayton, Cascade Volunteers Saw Program Coordinator at [email protected]
May 13, 2021 at 10:38 pm #27003DadebudParticipant
I recently registered and applied to do full time volenteer work but never got a single email response of any kind from anyone. There seems to be a major communication breakdown. Can someone please contact me? My name is Mark, email is [email protected] or text or call at 458-234-1287.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.