Join me for trail de-brushing in South Eugene

Home Forums Trail Conditions & Trail Work Join me for trail de-brushing in South Eugene

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  speedmotoco 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

dug well
    Participant

There are miles of undermaintained trails with brush overgrowth and light blow down.

You want more trails, i want help clearing fun routes that already exist. Win win!

lets arrange afternoon session of a couple few hours or a day, whenever.

Personally, New trail might take 50hr per mile to build. Brushing overgrown trail is probably 4hour per mile. That’s 12.5x more trail opened, performing maintence rather than new build.

Reduce CARbon emissions, create local recreation opportunities for all, ride more, drive less!

good for you, the earth and youth too! Why get in a car to go ride when you can improve the trails you probably dont know about that are just a bicycle ride from your house!?!?

It doesnt start with asking where’s the trail, It starts with donning boots, eye protection long sleeves and work gloves a helpful attitude and arranging a workparty.

A rake/mcloud, spade shovel, machete, lopper, maybe a bowsaw are all that may be needed. This isnt tread lip berm work. Its brush and drain work. You can have a great trail without berms, but you cant have any trail with brush.

we can plan here or contact [email protected]

MaxSteel
    Participant

Very eloquent plea. But unauthorized building/maintaining of illegal trails will not further long term interests of the mountain bike community.

DOD has reached a formal agreement with the city to construct and maintain new trail. What is lacking is manpower. If your plea can mobilize people, bravo. But go through proper channels. This way we cannot only build trail, but also build a stronger relationship with the Parks and more sustainable opportunities for mountainbikers.

Surprisingly, trails don’t build themselves! We need more and new volunteers to step up. Yesterday on Lawler we had 3 new faces and they made a huge difference. Thanks to John, Andrew and Daniel. I sincerely hope you guys come back, and bring friends. The others present are part of the old guard that always shows up. The ‘old guard’ is limited in numbers and getting ‘old’.

Bottom line. DOD has responsibility for more trail than we have manpower. Taking on new tasks isn’t realistic without more help

dug well
    Participant

1 hows the legal thing working out at whipe ass? Jk, i saw the sticky about all the trails being whiped out by logging!

2. You speak prophetically as if you know that unathorized building would do no good, “thats just like your opinion, man”

2 user trails are not inherintly illegal, and its not like we are only allowed to go forth on city sanctioned paths.

There are tons of accepted and maintained unoffical trails in this area in and outside city property and the country. It would be discriminatory to selectively permit such walking trails, but to be adverse when such trails are also used for cycling.

3 the lawler comment seems like a thread hijack. This thread is about trails in proximity to town; to reduce carbon emissions and create local opportunity’s.

4 we agree max that we need more trail.  i expected your argument that theres new trail to be built, and that your undermanned.  i offered the numerical representstion of how it is much quicker to keep what exists, than to build new. Also stuff close one can take a little walk and clear a few sticks off the tread, clear leaves from a drain, and prune vack a few blackberry vines, in short time, after work, unlike a build day at lawler or whatever cumbersome opperation.

In the meantime of  opening more official stuff (which is extremely protracted) why not do a little good and get more trail running smooth.

the whole idea that maintaining trail without permission is a bad joke. That would meen if a ice storm happens and a branch falls on a trail, you would not move it aside, for fear of legal reprocussion. That you wouldnt tuck back a low hanging branch or snap off a blackberry. Ninny stuff. Im not talkin about logging. Im not talking about ebviromental destruction.

the city goes around putting round up all over shit, cutting down trees, importing gravel into forest, approving giant parking lots… then they wants to tell me not to ride my bike in the woods or cut back some overgrowth… with all due respect, F that BS. They can go to hell with their morally unhinged beurocratic and biggoted policies that marginalize binkes

Bottom line, lol. Im offering to help the (cycling) community have more rec opportunities, in the most bang for the direct way. If you want to naysay that, well thats just SAD.

speedmotoco
    Participant

Sounds good!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.