Hwy 242 Friday morning

Home Forums Rides Hwy 242 Friday morning

This topic contains 33 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  S.S.Litson 6 years ago.

• Author

Just got word the McKenzie pass has been plowed so riding over early Friday. My plan is start at McKenzie Ranger Station and ride to Sisters, grab a snack and ride back. Anyone down for a hell of a ride?

Just got word the McKenzie pass has been plowed so riding over early Friday. My plan is start at McKenzie Ranger Station and ride to Sisters, grab a snack and ride back. Anyone down for a hell of a ride?

Let us ride!

Davey Sprockett

I gotta woik. Have fun, Shawn. I've done this ride several times and it's a blast… problem is I've only done it when the road is open to vehicular traffic. Doing it when it's been plowed but the gates are still closed to cars would be killer! Wish I could join you.

S.S.Litson

Davey, I too have done this a few times…and each time on that same felt I ride Whypass with lol. But never have I done it with the gate closed…last year they gave a three week window and opened it four days after announcing…not missing it this go round. Besides, training for the Cream Puff!!!

Rider1405

What time are you planning to leave the Ranger Station?

Bill

S.S.Litson

I want to get an early start to make it back by 4ish. So realistically thinking departure from ranger station at seven tops. However, if company wants to join the length and ride can be altered…just need the end time to remain so I can see my kiddos…priorities are them 🙂

LostInTheTrees

I've done this a couple of times with the gate closed and it's one of the great road rides anywhere. I found I hated the ride up from Sisters so I now turn around at Windy Point. The first time I did this I got up to Dee Wright and there were at least 40 cyclists hanging around enjoying the carlessness of it all. Very fun.

The rest of you should get on up there in the next few weeks. Alas I won't be back until it's too late for this ride.

kimm2222

That's amazing it is clear already. The last couple of years the Old McHwy hasn't opened to vehicles until early/mid July.

An especially fun time to do this ride is the weekend before the highway officially opens. It turns into a bike festival up there as people come from all over to get in one last traffic-free ride for the year.

:Kim

S.S.Litson

Last year it was about to open unseasonable early…then snow dumped and thwarted that idea. When ODOT finally cleared the path they announced in the paper it’s opening a couple weeks after the press release. I was jazzed to go…only to find they actually opened te gates days not weeks after the release. Long story short, not missing it this year!!! We had a fantastic amount of snow in such a short time this year followed by a swift melt off…it is looking like another great year in front of the ol knobby tire!!!

S.S.Litson

From the sounds of our Ninkasi patio talk last night there may be a second ride planned in a week for those interested. Email me directly if you would like to join in the morning sslitson at gmail dot com.

Brock

So, I can't go tomorrow…but I've been told I *have* to do this ride before I'm not able to ride bikes anymore. Weekends are pretty much sewed up from here until October, for the most part…but if someone tolerant of those not training for the puff wants to go, let's hook up.

Brock…

dirtydown

I can take a day off during the next couple of weeks.  What day would work for you?

Brock

I can take a day off during the next couple of weeks.  What day would work for you?

Really wouldn't matter. I'd just have to talk GrammaBrock into watching the girls which is easy if she doesn't have to get up with the roosters. I can't next Thurs/Fri but might be able to Tues or Wed.

Brock…

dirtydown

Wednesday is best for me.  Let's make it happen.  I am sooo over due for a long ride.

Brock

Wednesday is best for me.  Let's make it happen.  I am sooo over due for a long ride.

OK, I have kiddie coverage for Wednesday. Shall we make it official?

Brock…

Bikinjoe

Shawn,

You still planning to go? Anyone else going out? I was thinking MTB but this is a great ride.

I can not leave until 8 and have to be back by 5 at the latest, but that would give 5 hours or so to do the ride. I can go to Susters or turn around at the observatory.

Richard

S.S.Litson

I am still going but this ride really wanting an early start. I am going to talk to the boss man and see if he will grant me another day off next week to ride. So far Friday has some interest, but no takers yet. But I have heard next week may work better for most so if you cannot make Fridays early start lets keep a day open next week for a more planned out ride.

Roland

I'd like to do this ride when the forecast is a bit better.  Currently 38 degrees and raining at Santiam Pass.  Yeesh, no thanks!

Bikinjoe

I can do Wed, still can’t leave town until 8:00, if that works?

Anyone up for Wolf Creek road ride on Friday, leaving around 9:00am?

Brock

I can't leave the girls w/gramma until 9 Wednesday. Where do folks want to meet after that?

Brock…

Cazloco

I won't joining this ride on Friday.  Currently snowing at santiam.  I'm up for wednesday though assuming it doesn't snow.

chris

Bikinjoe

Albertsons at 9:15?

Brock

Let's make it 9:26.

Brock…

dirtydown

That is good for me.

Bikinjoe

Works for me to.

Brock

I got it worked out so I can go earlier (8 @ Albertson's) if you guys want, but it doesn't matter to me. Just weigh in & we'll see you tomorrow.

Brock…

Cazloco

I'm still on for this.  Are we meeting at 8:00, 9:15 or 9:26? 

chris 

S.S.Litson

Well due to a large amount of fluffy white stuff Today has been canceled…I think I may have to join the next ride Wed.

Bikinjoe

Caz, 9:2ish at Albertsons in Springfield. Unless you want to ride up with me? Then 9:00 at my house or I can pick you up after dropping off Cayden about 8:45

Cazloco

I will be at your house by 9:00

chris

Roland

I'm probably in for this ride as well, assuming I can get my sh!t together.

S.S.Litson

Waiting for the boss man to say yes…looks like it will be a great day to ride!!!

Wildchubby

I must be in a forum time warp.  Is this ride for THIS Friday the 1st of June?  Or am I simply still living in the '90's?

Brock

I must be in a forum time warp.  Is this ride for THIS Friday the 1st of June?  Or am I simply still living in the '90's?

It was for *last* Friday…but someone (a big, tall, handsome, benevolent, and wonderful man) derailed it for this Wednesday (May 30).

I was stoked for this…now it's a bunch of CreamPuff finishers and ex-racers on board. Damn, better get a good night sleep Brockelman.

Brock…

S.S.Litson

I’m in…Albertson’s at 9:26?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.