Hitch Rack Feedback requested please

Home Forums General Discussion Hitch Rack Feedback requested please

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

I am looking for personal feed back regarding hitch bike racks for 2 inch receivers.
      I want wheel tray style;  not frame hanger style – Thanks!

My goals are:
      I want to safely transport Mtn. bikes with 29 inch wheels with 2.4 inch tires and similar with little difficulty.   

I am very interested in the 1upUSA choices.  Most reviews state that all owners love them, but I can't recall seeing any around our area. (Perhaps everyone removes them and puts them inside their rigs while riding)

Also, I am moderately interested in the KUAT offerings and maybe Thule T2.

Many thanks for your personal experiences with these.  Please don't point me to online reviews, I can do that on my own.

– Josh

Hi,

I am looking for personal feed back regarding hitch bike racks for 2 inch receivers.
      I want wheel tray style;  not frame hanger style – Thanks!

My goals are:
      I want to safely transport Mtn. bikes with 29 inch wheels with 2.4 inch tires and similar with little difficulty.   

I am very interested in the 1upUSA choices.  Most reviews state that all owners love them, but I can't recall seeing any around our area. (Perhaps everyone removes them and puts them inside their rigs while riding)

Also, I am moderately interested in the KUAT offerings and maybe Thule T2.

Many thanks for your personal experiences with these.  Please don't point me to online reviews, I can do that on my own.

– Josh

Let us ride!

LostInTheTrees

I have a T2 as do many others. I also got the extension to put 2 more bikes on. It fits everything, my 26er mtb, 29er touring bike with its 50mm tires and skinny tired 700c bikes. It is extremely easy to use. Even adding or subtracting the extension is easy. I only use that when going back and forth to AZ and it's easy to get on and off.

Once you experience a rack where no wheel has to be removed, you will never want to do that again.

I have no experience with the other models. If they are lighter, that might be a good thing as long as they are sturdy enough. Do they have a 4 bike option? I didn't realize I needed that until a couple of years after I bought the base rack.

The other consideration is how easy they are to tip out of the way of the rear hatch. The T2 is easy, with a single lever.

taylorj

Awesome feedback! Thanks Bob.

LostInTheTrees

One more thing. No matter what rack you get, you will probably need to add your own locking mechanism. I use the T2 lock plus a cable and lock that I thread through the frames and rack. These racks are so easy a thief could pull your bike off at a red light.

AcarLarkinyar

I have the 1UP and its flawless. Super easy and fast to get any of my bikes on off. 29er, downhill, commuter, etc…. Must specify that u have a 29er when u order. My 26″ and road bike fits in that spacing as well

LostInTheTrees

I was curious so I looked at the 1Up web site. They look very nice. I've seen them in the wild a few times and they look pretty spiffy. One question though. When loaded with bikes, how is the rack released and lowered so you can access the rear hatch?

Roland

I have the Thule.  It's OK.  The main part of the rack is structurally sound but the arms that clamp the wheels are made of plastic and are quite flimsy.  The ratcheting mechanism that holds down the wheel arm does not work well anymore and seems to be steadily worsening with age.  If I had to buy a new rack I would get a 1UP for sure over the Thule, although it costs quite a bit more.

LostInTheTrees

I think I'd go for the 1Up too, though my T2 still functions just fine. The workmanship is a lot nicer on the 1Up. It appears that the 4 bike set up is about 25 lbs lighter.

taylorj

Thank you everyone for the great feedback.  It is much appreciated! 

I have a solid understanding of price points and have studied the manufacturer resources, but details like durability, safety, annoyances and functionality are precisely what I am after. 

This is my blanket future thank you to all other replies.

Best Regards,

– Josh

Davey Sprockett

One more voice. I have the Thule T2… thought it was the best thing out there when I bought it… then discovered its failings once my money was spent. Don't get me wrong, it's not an awful rack — it's actually pretty nice. But Rolando already discussed it's weaknesses. When a couple friends got 1up USA racks, well, all I can say is I want a new rack. Oh, how I want a new rack!

One of the nicest features of the 1up rack is if there's any bike-to-bike contact, it's simple, quick & easy to move the bikes apart is a matter of seconds, without tools, without troubles. I can't tell you how many times we've loaded and unloaded Rolando's 4-bike T2 in order to separate one bike's brake lever from another bike's saddle or whatnot. Sheesh!

Get the 1up USA rack and never look back. Totally worth the money!

AcarLarkinyar

The 1UP I rock solid. There are two red larches that u push down to relieve tension. It’s easy and I can do it with one hand or my foot. Quiality built. You will be soooo much happier with this one. I have owned most of the others and this rack is far batter in every respect

Contact me to try it out in person

taylorj

All,

Many thanks for all the great feedback and special thanks to AcarLarkinyar with the offer to test it out!  Got to love the mtn. bike community!  I pushed the buy now button yesterday on the 1upUSA after I got confirmation from them that my bike/s will fit no problems.  

Cheers,
      – Josh

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.