Fall Barbie Camp 10/26-28

Home Forums Rides Fall Barbie Camp 10/26-28

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Maximilious 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Announcing the 18th Annual Fall Barbie Camp: Oct. 26-28, 2012
    Sponsored by the Disciples of Dirt, an IMBA Chapter (DOD)

You know the drill… Bikes. Beer. Bonfires. Branding irons. Everyone over 18 is welcome. Under 18… not. Barbie Camp is not a racing event! BC is pure fun — no posturing or puffing up allowed. Just good times with fun folks.

Potluck Saturday evening so bring something good to eat and enough to share. Couple kegs will be provided courtesy of DOD's brew sponsor Ninkasi Brewing.

The dispersed BC campsite is near Camp Sherman on Lake Creek between Suttle Lake and Metolius River. This is NOT the same place as Spring Barbie Camp. Directions to Fall Barbie Camp here. There's nothing there except a beautiful creekside campsite, however DOD will provide a portapotty, firewood & hoppy refreshments. If you want water to drink, a canopy or picnic table or whatever, you must bring it. Warning: sometimes it gets very cold at night. Plan accordingly.

The Barbie Bike will return… we'll do the usual Saturday evening raffle… you could win the use of the Barbie Bike 'til Spring BC '13. Be there!

Friday, Saturday and Sunday rides will depart camp around 10am each day. Maybe earlier if we decide to ride someplace far away. Rumor has it the Pole Creek Fire burned across Trail 99 so that's not going to be an option this year but the good news is there are plenty of other fun trails in the area. Within striking distance are Peterson Ridge, Cache Mtn, Suttle Lake/Suttle Tie, Green Ridge, Smith Rocks, MRT, even Lookout Mtn in the Ochoccos plus numerous singletracks around Camp Sherman (including the northernmost section of Metolius-Windigo).

Please bring an extra table for Saturday evening's potluck if you can. Thanks. Oh, and don't forget your camp chair.

Announcing the 18th Annual Fall Barbie Camp: Oct. 26-28, 2012
    Sponsored by the Disciples of Dirt, an IMBA Chapter (DOD)

You know the drill… Bikes. Beer. Bonfires. Branding irons. Everyone over 18 is welcome. Under 18… not. Barbie Camp is not a racing event! BC is pure fun — no posturing or puffing up allowed. Just good times with fun folks.

Potluck Saturday evening so bring something good to eat and enough to share. Couple kegs will be provided courtesy of DOD's brew sponsor Ninkasi Brewing.

The dispersed BC campsite is near Camp Sherman on Lake Creek between Suttle Lake and Metolius River. This is NOT the same place as Spring Barbie Camp. Directions to Fall Barbie Camp here. There's nothing there except a beautiful creekside campsite, however DOD will provide a portapotty, firewood & hoppy refreshments. If you want water to drink, a canopy or picnic table or whatever, you must bring it. Warning: sometimes it gets very cold at night. Plan accordingly.

The Barbie Bike will return… we'll do the usual Saturday evening raffle… you could win the use of the Barbie Bike 'til Spring BC '13. Be there!

Friday, Saturday and Sunday rides will depart camp around 10am each day. Maybe earlier if we decide to ride someplace far away. Rumor has it the Pole Creek Fire burned across Trail 99 so that's not going to be an option this year but the good news is there are plenty of other fun trails in the area. Within striking distance are Peterson Ridge, Cache Mtn, Suttle Lake/Suttle Tie, Green Ridge, Smith Rocks, MRT, even Lookout Mtn in the Ochoccos plus numerous singletracks around Camp Sherman (including the northernmost section of Metolius-Windigo).

Please bring an extra table for Saturday evening's potluck if you can. Thanks. Oh, and don't forget your camp chair.

Let us ride!

MaxSteel

Please make it RAIN, or the bonfire and trail 99 won't happen.

Barbie Camp ROCKS

Davey Sprockett

Please make it RAIN, or the bonfire and trail 99 won't happen.

Barbie Camp ROCKS

YES — RAIN!

Barbie Camp ROCKS!

Mtnlre

How about no rain after fri am ? I plan to be a fri arrival unless my co pilot has an issue. Barbie camp rocks! Can’t wait!!!!

MaxSteel

Yes please!  A nice soaker in 21 days would be perfect.   I would even like to see a few sprinkles between now and then.  The trails and forest really need it.

bb12creek

I'm pretty sure Trail 99 was taken out by the Pole Creek Fire. Peterson Ridge Trails are still closed as well. First rain is coming though….

MaxSteel

I didn't really study the map that showed the burned area.  I know trail 99 and all access to the area was closed….but not sure if it burned.  Anyone?

bb12creek

I have the bad news here.  Road 16 was essentially used as the fire break on the south / souheast side of the fire. Everything on the north / west of the road from Three Creek Lake down to the top of the Peterson RIdge Trails burned. I can confirm that from a view I had at the top of Broken Top a few weeks ago. I obviously have no ideal if the trail is ruined or not, but it was dfiitely in the heart of the burn. 

Apparantly the Peterson Ridge system is just about all opened up again. The top most bits of the east and west legs are techincally closed. The Peterson Ridge trails were on the opposite side road 16 and were not burned. 

I'll try to post some fire pics. 

Maximilious

Weather’s looking decent with sub-freezing nights. Bring ur warmest sleeping bag/blanket combo and a warm snuggle buddy if u have one.

Maximilious

Bring pop-up tents if you have them, and tables are nice to have.  Don't foget your personal camp chair and re-usable drinking vessel as well. Fenders might be a good idea.  Lights for cruising around camp at night. Tools.  Spare parts.  Leather items to brand.  Extra food and snacks.  Glowsticks.  Musical Instruments.  Whatever you think would be good to have.

Davey Sprockett

Bring pop-up tents if you have them, and tables are nice to have.  Don't foget your personal camp chair and re-usable drinking vessel as well. Fenders might be a good idea.  Lights for cruising around camp at night. Tools.  Spare parts.  Leather items to brand.  Extra food and snacks.  Glowsticks.  Musical Instruments.  Whatever you think would be good to have.

Snuggle bunnies.

Roland

Appertizer, entree or dessert for Saturday night.

Davey Sprockett

Latest Barbie update… this just in… as of 2pm Thursday Lee has occupied the Barbie campsite… it's all ours… Lee says there's plenty of snow by the sides of the highway going over the pass but no snow on the ground at the Barbie campsite… we are a go… repeat… we are a go… over…

S.S.Litson

Just talked to Eurosport in Sisters and last they heard all areas closed to the fire are still closed. That includes trail 99.

Mtnlre

Brr. Low thirties at night. Not sure that 4 sleeping bags, 2 liners and wool long underwear will keep me from freezing to death since I have shed some extra weight. . Is there a snuggle buddy sign up list?

Davey Sprockett
      … Is there a snuggle buddy sign up list?

I think you just started one. 🙂

Roland

Davey keeps the sign up list in the back of Chester.

Waaay in the back.

Mtnlre

Haha! I know better than to go anywhere near Chester!

Davey Sprockett
        Haha! I know better than to go anywhere near Chester!

Chester knows better than to go anywhere near Mountin' Larry.

Maximilious

I may be hosting a relaxed pace break-off from the main Saturday ride for anyone wanting to spin mellowly, hopefully on singletrack near the campsite.  We'll play it by ear day-of

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.