Exhausted Rooster Ride: Saturday, September 5th

Home Forums Rides Exhausted Rooster Ride: Saturday, September 5th

This topic contains 49 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  jrpdesign 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Sixth Annual Exhausted Rooster Ride: Saturday, September 5th

If you're looking for something to do this Labor Day weekend or just happen to be camping up at Waldo Lake, you might want to join in on this ride.

The Exhausted Rooster Ride was conceived of by GOATS member Allen DeBuhr and over the years has become a favorite of DOD'ers. The route connects some well known trails with a couple of seldom ridden trails to make for yet another great loop or lollipop option up in the Waldo Zone.

This ride has a little bit of everything. From the stout climb and ripping descent on The Twins, to the rugged "out there" feel of the Metolius Windigo trail and the fast, fun, and swoopy finish on Gold Lake … it's a 22 mile adventure! 

The Route: The Twins > Metolius-Windigo (Trail 99) > Moore Creek > Bobby Lake > Gold Lake.
    If you don’t want to deal with shuttling or riding back up from the bottom of Gold Lake, you can skip that section and head straight back to your car at Bobby Lake for a  total of 18 or 19 miles. The Gold Lake descent is so much fun though it would be a shame to miss it.

Meet: At 10:00am at the Betty/Bobby Lake trailhead. This is the large pull-out on the left of the Waldo Lake Road, a couple of miles before the Shadow Bay turnoff.

Below is the elevation profile that includes the finish down to Gold Lake (and a shuttle back to the cars at Betty Lake).

:kim

Sixth Annual Exhausted Rooster Ride: Saturday, September 5th

If you're looking for something to do this Labor Day weekend or just happen to be camping up at Waldo Lake, you might want to join in on this ride.

The Exhausted Rooster Ride was conceived of by GOATS member Allen DeBuhr and over the years has become a favorite of DOD'ers. The route connects some well known trails with a couple of seldom ridden trails to make for yet another great loop or lollipop option up in the Waldo Zone.

This ride has a little bit of everything. From the stout climb and ripping descent on The Twins, to the rugged "out there" feel of the Metolius Windigo trail and the fast, fun, and swoopy finish on Gold Lake … it's a 22 mile adventure! 

The Route: The Twins > Metolius-Windigo (Trail 99) > Moore Creek > Bobby Lake > Gold Lake.
    If you don’t want to deal with shuttling or riding back up from the bottom of Gold Lake, you can skip that section and head straight back to your car at Bobby Lake for a  total of 18 or 19 miles. The Gold Lake descent is so much fun though it would be a shame to miss it.

Meet: At 10:00am at the Betty/Bobby Lake trailhead. This is the large pull-out on the left of the Waldo Lake Road, a couple of miles before the Shadow Bay turnoff.

Below is the elevation profile that includes the finish down to Gold Lake (and a shuttle back to the cars at Betty Lake).

Let us ride!

taylorj

Hi Kim!
    Is the ride on the 5th or the 6th? My calendar says Sunday is the 6th.
    If it is Saturday the 5th I would love to join, otherwise it is a bust for me.
    Many thanks!

kimm2222

Damn … you're right, Josh. I was just repeating what Allen posted to the DOD facebook page. Not sure if he meant Saturday the 5th or Sunday the 6th. Hmmm. I'll see if I can find out. Thanks for pointing that out.

kimm2222

I'm thinking that if he typed Saturday, he probably meant Saturday and just got the date wrong (or hit the wrong key.) So let's call it for Saturday the 5th and I'll change the title of the thread 🙂

Brock

I hope that dude gets his dates/stuff straight. This is a fun ride. I did the first one and enjoyed it. Probably going to this one. Showing up on the right day would help. So would responding to emails and questions though, huh?

Brock…

bruce prator

As I just got off the phone with allen it is saturday the 5th at 10am.  Since I have breathing problems I will start at 9am. Noaa says snow level is at 6500 feet Saturday. So it will be delitefull. The shuttle ride from lower gold lake trail back to bobby lake trail will be previded by allen.

Brock

Awesome, Bruce. Thank you.

Brock…

taylorj

Many thanks Kim, Bruce and Allen!  This sounds like a lot of fun!

taylorj

Howdy,
      I was just looking at the map and it appears to be a Trailhead Pass Required parking area.  
      Most of you likely have the annual pass, but felt it may be helpful to point that out.  I suspect being a holiday weekend and all the Foreset Service may be monitoring the parking areas.  
      Information is here http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/willamette/passes-permits/recreation#permits

thanks,

kimm2222

Hi Josh,

We have parked at that pull-out a bunch and have never used a forest pass. There are no facilities there nor any signs saying you need a pass. Since there isn't any way to even purchase a day pass like there is at the Shadow Bay boat ramp, I think it's safe to say we don't need one to park at that spot.

And on this list of day use permit requirements, the Betty Lake trailhead is not mentioned:  http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamette/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev2_026994

taylorj

Hi Kim! Thank you for this info!

kimm2222

It was a good question. It would certainly be a bummer to return to your car after a great day of riding only to find a ticket under your windshield wiper. Although not as bad as returning to your car and finding it broken into 🙁

:k

dirtydown

I am good for this ride.  I have been looking for an opportunity to do it for the last 3 weeks. 

Are we planning a post ride social time?  Kelli, my wife is hoping to come up and meet me around 3:00.  If she can't make it, I will be hiring a Springfield street walker to serve as my companion.  I have noticed a new girl in town lately. 🙂

See you there.

dirtydown

For those of you that have small children to care for, there are multiple day care facilities at the campgrounds. 🙂

kimm2222

Seems like 3:00 pm is a good guesstimate. Hopefully either your wife, your kids, or your companion will have drinks and pupus waiting for us when we're done =)

Davey Sprockett

So sorry I'll miss this ride. Nick, I saw your Go Fund Me campaign so you can afford the streetwalker. Naturally I'm curious what you come up with. So to speak.

P.S. I donated $20.

dirtydown

$20 is all I needed.  $25 for one with teeth. 

Good thing I never lead these rides.  Like my replies, we would always be going the wrong direction.

Brock

I’m going to…gasp…do an XC ride and join this gig. It’s fun, plus getting to climb behind you is always a gift.

Brock…

chasesbearwithbike

Hope to see you there, should not be as much traffic as would be on Waldo Lake Trail.  Campfires are ok at all  Waldo Lake Camp Grounds.  Islet is waiting for you to stay there, the great camp manager yours truly is wating for you to come up and see the only host that does his workl in camp on mountain bike.

Brock

In the interest of not having 15 cars at the trailhead, I'm game to meet up in Pleasant Hill and carpool. I can get 3 more folks/bikes/gear or am absolutely happy to get in with someone else and not drive. Leaving the old Ray's lot at 8:30?

Brock…

dirtydown

I will show up with a vehicle that can take multiple bikes and passengers.  My preference is to not take my truck because my wife is planning to come up after the ride.  However, it is no big deal if needed.

S.S.Litson

The elevation profile looks way more challenging than it really is. Over the 22 miles you will only climb roughly 2,500'. However, there's over 3,000' of super fun tail wag'n dancing through the trees on bikes descending! It really is a damn good time on a bike!

Last year Paul Timm did break his frame on the climb though…not sure who set that blistering pace.

taylorj

Along with a stoked mwah, I will be bringing two excited peeps with me!
    (my rig is now full)

Woo hoo! Trail riding!

Sir Bonksalot

<— One excited peep

slowleego

Haven't done the "official" rooster ride, but I've done the loop once. Fantastic set of trails. See you mugs out there Saturday. Are folks meeting up at LCC to carpool, and if so, what time?

"slow"Lee

bikenwright

Yes LCC @ 8. I'll have room for 2 more after Lee.

bikenwright

Car is full – 

scooter_b3

Looks like a good ride. Going to try and find a campsite Friday night with the fam for the weekend. Got my fingers crossed as all the reserve sites are full. Hoping to find one of those 1st come 1st serve spots. 

MaxSteel

my family camped at Islet for the first time last weekend.  Nice campground….no potable water available though.

Sir Bonksalot

Does anyone have a Garmin or other map showing the trail route? The route seems to leave my Oakridge Map and there's a significant gap between the Oakridge and Bend maps where some of this route lies.

S.S.Litson

Jeff, not sure if this link will make it through or not (never tried to forward a one of these GPS things with my phone before) but give the following link a try. This was the ride last year. We didn't summit the Twins because when we got to the base Paul's bike broke and Roland and I didn't want to wear out or guest rider.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/6360783

kimm2222

Our Central Oregon Adventure map has a smaller map on the back that shows the Waldo, Cultis, and Charleton Lakes area. The entire Rooster Ride route is on that. Athough for some reason it shows The Twins trail and the section of Metolius Windigo included in this ride, as hiking trails.

Sir Bonksalot

Huh ok – I'll take another look at that map – this time with my monocle and loupe. 

Sir Bonksalot

Right on, thanks!

Brock

Just a carpool update:

I will be at Pleasant Hill, NOT LCC. *Leaving* Pleasant Hill at 8:30, sharp. There's two spots left in the van of great regrets.

Brock…

Sir Bonksalot

It's still better than the Clown Car of Eternal Nightmares. And often comes fully loaded with donuts. 

taylorj

Sounds like you are ready for a trade in :))

dirtydown

I will most likely drive my truck up from Pleasant Hill.  Room for 3 passengers and bikes.

kimm2222

Bring warm clothes! I just looked at the Cascades forcast and the freezing levels are at 6500 feet dropping to 5500 tomorrow with pass highs tomorrow 53 degrees. We could even see a dusting of snow on The Twins. Yikes!

Brock

We could also see my breakfast on the Twins climb. Been too long since I’ve pedaled.

Brock…

Sir Bonksalot

Good point! 

MaxSteel

if you have radios, bring em.  looks like a pretty big crowd to keep track of.  Should be an awesome day weatherwise!  Better than scorching hot anyway.

Davey Sprockett

So how was the ride?

Sir Bonksalot

So how was the ride?

In all seriousness, it was an awesome ride – absolutely beautiful, with some delectable downhill sections. No serious injuries. A great day of riding. 

Edit – not sure why the pics are misoriented – I'll try on the computer instead of the iphone. 

kimm2222

Fixed them for you, Jeff 🙂

Sir Bonksalot

Thanks! 🙂

taylorj

Cocka-doodle-did-it!

All,
      I had so much fun!  The trails were amazing!!! Riding in the snow brought me back to being a kid.
      Thanks Allen for coordinating, shuttling and to everyone who helped make this one of my most favorite rides to date!

Davey Sprockett

OMG! For second there I thought I saw snow. But that's impossible!

kimm2222

It was a beautiful ride! We had 23 riders show up for a great day in the Waldo Zone Winter Wonderland … in what is still technically summer 🙂 I thought we might see snow but didn’t think we’d be starting off in the snow! It was fresh, dry snow though and amazingly grippy even on the downhill. I felt I had more traction than I did a month ago when we rode The Twins in loose, dusty conditions.

Thanks so much to Allen for dreaming up this wild ride and for shuttling folks back up to the cars after the fun finish on Gold Lake.

Some photos fron Danika:

jrpdesign

Man I hate that I missed this Ride!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.