Equestrian Encounters

Home Forums Trail Conditions & Trail Work Equestrian Encounters

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jaewannabe 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

I recently received a note from the U.S. Forest Service that  there was an incident between bikers and equestrians that went poorly. Without going into detail or assigning blame to either group, this is an opportunity to review some basic principles when encountering an equestrian out on a multi-use trail.

Horses have the right of way.

When you meet a horse, talk to the rider, step off on the DH side and be nice.

Even before you meet a horse, if you see them coming, stop, get off and ask the rider how to proceed. It’s just the nice thing to do.

We are all ambassadors of our sport, and should always act accordingly.

Cheers,

Lee

I recently received a note from the U.S. Forest Service that  there was an incident between bikers and equestrians that went poorly. Without going into detail or assigning blame to either group, this is an opportunity to review some basic principles when encountering an equestrian out on a multi-use trail.

Horses have the right of way.

When you meet a horse, talk to the rider, step off on the DH side and be nice.

Even before you meet a horse, if you see them coming, stop, get off and ask the rider how to proceed. It’s just the nice thing to do.

We are all ambassadors of our sport, and should always act accordingly.

Cheers,

Lee

Let us ride!

jaewannabe

It's always the 10%. I've rode plenty of horses in my time, Damn MTBers always on the trail, hey wait I don't think I've ever rode a horse  on a purpose built trail.  If I had I would've welcomed any other user. Strange how being educated humans we cannot seem to get along.   The title of this post made me want to watch the movie again. 

jaewannabe

It's always the 10%. I've rode plenty of horses in my time, Damn MTBers always on the trail, hey wait I don't think I've ever rode a horse  on a purpose built trail.  If I had I would've welcomed any other user. Strange how being educated humans we cannot seem to get along.   The title of this post made me want to watch the movie again. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.