DOD Official Development Plan for Whypass

Home Forums Trail Conditions & Trail Work DOD Official Development Plan for Whypass

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bapisazoz 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Whypass (Carpenter Bypass Trail Network) Official DOD Development Plan 

Purpose 

Rumors and speculation have been circulating throughout the Disciples of Dirt mountain biking community regarding the development of the Whypass trail network. This development plan is aimed at increasing awareness regarding our working relationship with the Whypass land manager (BLM). DOD's goal is to create a network of trails that is sustainable and will be developed on lands where a memorandum of understanding (MOU) has been reached with the land manager. 

Intent

Our intent is to build new trails, reroute existing unsustainable trails, and maintain existing sustainable trails that meet the current IMBA trail standards that are covered by the current Whypass area MOU. In addition, we plan to upgrade the network by including areas for specialized types of mountain bike recreation, such as downhill, freeride, and technical cross country. Intermediate and beginner lines will be developed for each style of mountain biking.    

Plan of Action

We have set forth many goals for updating the trail network in the 2014 fiscal year (FYTD). A list of the areas that are scheduled for improvement in the 2014 fiscal year (FYTD) is provided below. The accomplishment of these tasks will depend on volunteer manpower, BLM FYTD budget funds, and trail development grants. 

The Gift. A downhill style blue line will be added to this area with allocated BLM FYTD budget funds. Work on this project is expected to begin in February or March 2014. In addition, we are developing other grant proposals to help fund new downhill and freeride lines in this area.

Boundary/Northridge. Portions of Boundary and Northridge were closed to us during fire season last year due to fire danger. These sections of trail are located on private properties for which no MOU has been reached with the land manager. The current land owner is not interested in formalizing a relationship. Consequently, the DOD is seeking an alternative route for accessing the remainder of the network by BLM land rather than private land. The Whypass trailwork committee has began working on a reroute option with the BLM. This reroute would allow us to avoid seasonal fire closures. Once the DOD obtains approval from the BLM, we will begin focusing on this area on trail work days.

Fun Girl. The standard exit for this area was destroyed by logging activities. No MOU has been reached between the DOD and the current land manger of this property. Thus, we plan to flag out several new single track trails within BLM property boundaries to exit this area. The DOD plans to add several more trails in this area. However, this process will be slow because the trails must be flagged and a National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) must be conducted before approval. 

IMBA Assessment Yellow & Red Areas. All of the areas that were marked as unsustainable by IMBA need to be rerouted. In January 2014, we completed our first re-route, which replaced Four-Play with a more sustainable route that has been named More-Play. We will continue to work on making all of the unsustainable trails sustainable during future work parties. 

The Future 

The BLM plans to develop a parking area with a pit toilet. Maps of the area will be posted with trail ratings that are similar to those found at a ski area (black diamond, blue, and green). We hope to build a pump-track and a skills area next to the parking lot. A lot of BLM land can be used for future trail development projects. 

Building New Trails 

Currently, the DOD is not allowed to build unapproved trails on BLM lands. All new lines must be formally approved before work can begin (Whypass Committee Process: WCP). To ensure that a trail will be sustainable and enjoyable, trail layout considerations of proper grade, drainage, technical features, safety, sustainability, and fun factor must be visited.

The WCP is as follows: 1) A group of individuals under the guidance of at least one Whypass committee member flags a section of trail and rechecks it for all trail layout considerations (as listed above); 2) Next, a second crew rechecks the original route to approve the area or recommend changes; 3) If the original trail is approved by the second crew, the BLM is asked to approve the line; 4) Finally, once the BLM approves a line, trailwork can begin on that line.  

Trailwork

If you are one of the many volunteers who perform trail maintenance at Whypass on non trailwork party days, we thank you for your hard work. However, please ensure that you are maintaining trails to the IMBA standards. Please also ensure you are wearing a hard hat, eye protection, closed toed sturdy shoes, long pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves, and are certified to run any power tools you use. In addition, please email us at [email protected] with the number of hours that you have contributed and a brief description of the work accomplished. This process will allow you and the DOD to obtain credit for your efforts. In addition, logging your hours will help us keep track of completed projects. If you have any questions regarding DOD trailwork at Whypass, please contact the DOD trailwork coordinators at [email protected].

Closing 

Overall, our goal is to ensure that the trail network exists on lands that are not subject to severe logging operations. In addition, all trails must be sustainable and the network should include trails that support many different riding styles. DOD has created a Whypass committee, which consists of many avid Whypass users and individuals with different riding styles, to help develop this land. The future of this trail network depends on all of us. We have an amazing opportunity to work with a land manager to improve this trail network.

To accomplish our Whypass project goals for 2014, we need the assistance of members at trailwork parties. If you have further questions regarding the trail network plans or how to help us improve the network, please contact us at [email protected]. We want your VOICE to be HEARD. We are here to help you have a more enjoyable recreational experience. 

Whypass (Carpenter Bypass Trail Network) Official DOD Development Plan 

Purpose 

Rumors and speculation have been circulating throughout the Disciples of Dirt mountain biking community regarding the development of the Whypass trail network. This development plan is aimed at increasing awareness regarding our working relationship with the Whypass land manager (BLM). DOD's goal is to create a network of trails that is sustainable and will be developed on lands where a memorandum of understanding (MOU) has been reached with the land manager. 

Intent

Our intent is to build new trails, reroute existing unsustainable trails, and maintain existing sustainable trails that meet the current IMBA trail standards that are covered by the current Whypass area MOU. In addition, we plan to upgrade the network by including areas for specialized types of mountain bike recreation, such as downhill, freeride, and technical cross country. Intermediate and beginner lines will be developed for each style of mountain biking.    

Plan of Action

We have set forth many goals for updating the trail network in the 2014 fiscal year (FYTD). A list of the areas that are scheduled for improvement in the 2014 fiscal year (FYTD) is provided below. The accomplishment of these tasks will depend on volunteer manpower, BLM FYTD budget funds, and trail development grants. 

The Gift. A downhill style blue line will be added to this area with allocated BLM FYTD budget funds. Work on this project is expected to begin in February or March 2014. In addition, we are developing other grant proposals to help fund new downhill and freeride lines in this area.

Boundary/Northridge. Portions of Boundary and Northridge were closed to us during fire season last year due to fire danger. These sections of trail are located on private properties for which no MOU has been reached with the land manager. The current land owner is not interested in formalizing a relationship. Consequently, the DOD is seeking an alternative route for accessing the remainder of the network by BLM land rather than private land. The Whypass trailwork committee has began working on a reroute option with the BLM. This reroute would allow us to avoid seasonal fire closures. Once the DOD obtains approval from the BLM, we will begin focusing on this area on trail work days.

Fun Girl. The standard exit for this area was destroyed by logging activities. No MOU has been reached between the DOD and the current land manger of this property. Thus, we plan to flag out several new single track trails within BLM property boundaries to exit this area. The DOD plans to add several more trails in this area. However, this process will be slow because the trails must be flagged and a National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) must be conducted before approval. 

IMBA Assessment Yellow & Red Areas. All of the areas that were marked as unsustainable by IMBA need to be rerouted. In January 2014, we completed our first re-route, which replaced Four-Play with a more sustainable route that has been named More-Play. We will continue to work on making all of the unsustainable trails sustainable during future work parties. 

The Future 

The BLM plans to develop a parking area with a pit toilet. Maps of the area will be posted with trail ratings that are similar to those found at a ski area (black diamond, blue, and green). We hope to build a pump-track and a skills area next to the parking lot. A lot of BLM land can be used for future trail development projects. 

Building New Trails 

Currently, the DOD is not allowed to build unapproved trails on BLM lands. All new lines must be formally approved before work can begin (Whypass Committee Process: WCP). To ensure that a trail will be sustainable and enjoyable, trail layout considerations of proper grade, drainage, technical features, safety, sustainability, and fun factor must be visited.

The WCP is as follows: 1) A group of individuals under the guidance of at least one Whypass committee member flags a section of trail and rechecks it for all trail layout considerations (as listed above); 2) Next, a second crew rechecks the original route to approve the area or recommend changes; 3) If the original trail is approved by the second crew, the BLM is asked to approve the line; 4) Finally, once the BLM approves a line, trailwork can begin on that line.  

Trailwork

If you are one of the many volunteers who perform trail maintenance at Whypass on non trailwork party days, we thank you for your hard work. However, please ensure that you are maintaining trails to the IMBA standards. Please also ensure you are wearing a hard hat, eye protection, closed toed sturdy shoes, long pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves, and are certified to run any power tools you use. In addition, please email us at [email protected] with the number of hours that you have contributed and a brief description of the work accomplished. This process will allow you and the DOD to obtain credit for your efforts. In addition, logging your hours will help us keep track of completed projects. If you have any questions regarding DOD trailwork at Whypass, please contact the DOD trailwork coordinators at [email protected].

Closing 

Overall, our goal is to ensure that the trail network exists on lands that are not subject to severe logging operations. In addition, all trails must be sustainable and the network should include trails that support many different riding styles. DOD has created a Whypass committee, which consists of many avid Whypass users and individuals with different riding styles, to help develop this land. The future of this trail network depends on all of us. We have an amazing opportunity to work with a land manager to improve this trail network.

To accomplish our Whypass project goals for 2014, we need the assistance of members at trailwork parties. If you have further questions regarding the trail network plans or how to help us improve the network, please contact us at [email protected]. We want your VOICE to be HEARD. We are here to help you have a more enjoyable recreational experience. 

Let us ride!

soilgirl

Exciting work has already begun! Please visit the DOD calendar and forum to find out about upcoming Whypass trailwork events.

In addition, please remember to contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions or have any trailwork hours to log.

Cheers,

Amanda

Shep

Rode Whypass yesterday afternoon. There was thread across the trail in numerous locations at the south end. When I saw the first I thought it was fishing line and a man-trap. Scared the crap out of me, because I've come across this before. But luckily it was only thread and broke easily. Anyone know what this is all about?

Brock

Timber surveyors use it. It's annoying when it gets tangled in a hub or cassette/etc.

MaxSteel

What Brock said.

It doesn't mean that tract will be logged neccesarily, but they are keeping an inventory current.  They will periodically check the health of the trees in a specific area by boring holes, measuring height/girth etc. Sometimes they spraypaint and number the trees in a zone as well. 

I wish they would pick up after themselves better.

LostInTheTrees

Good thing it's just thread. There's a wash near my house that mtb'ers ride up and down all the time. It's a pretty decent ride and 3 3/4 miles long. About 3 years ago I was riding around looking for alternate lines when I hit a metal cable strung between 2 trees. Luckily I was going very slowly. I took it across the face, but just got scraped up a bit.

Shep

It doens't take cable to cause damage. I got caught in the neck with fishing line that was set as a man trap against MTBs. I stopped before loosing my head, but not before it cut deep into my neck. I had a thin scab across my neck for a few weeks which looked like I had tried to slit my throat. Fun.

tyman729

Yay more trails! Glad everyone is okay from the man traps. Hope those jerks get in trouble. Read an artical about some guy doing that. He’s sitting in prison now.

Davey Sprockett

Thread overlap! Here's a link to the latest update (mid-May, 2014) about new singletrack coming to Whypass:

Linky right herey.

(I'm adding the link to this sticky thread because the linked thread is not sticky… meaning it may drift to/off the bottom of the page.)

West Virginia

Just out of curiosity: I read the official plan above and didn't find an answer—are there any plans to put signage (trail markers) on Whypass trails? (And apologies if this question/topic has been beaten to death…I'm a newbie around here!)

Thanks,
    Scott

MaxSteel

There has been discussion, and at some point signage will be funded.  I don't have a timetable.

Ducks are aligning…but they waddle too slowly 

West Virginia

Cool. Signage is a good thing *if* you want to promote use of the trails and make the whole network more accessible and user-friendly.

On the other hand, if the (perhaps unspoken) goal is to keep it more of an "insiders and serious bikers only" network, then the lack of signage will help. 🙂 (Not pushing either way, just sayin'.)

ALSO: dunno if this is the place to post it, but if any help is needed (whenever) with an updated map, I'm happy to put some time into this. I'm not a GIS guy, but I'm a professional graphic designer (pretty good with Illustrator and Photoshop) as well as a bit of a GPS geek. 🙂

Scott

MaxSteel

Stay tuned….we may be calling for your expertise.  It may not be super soon, because BLM has some major thinning projects on tap that might cause us to delay signage.  There will be significant impact on the network.

codepink

Re: signage, I concur that this is an important issue in terms of accessibility and appeal of Whypass. I've been there about 10 times now and still don't know my way around enough to take my advanced-beginner wife out, who will not be understanding if we get turned around or end up having to grunt out two miles on the road. She really enjoys Peterson Ridge, and I think it's due largely to the clear signage.

We both have design backgrounds and would be willing to donate time, and perhaps a portion of materials costs, with respect to making and installing the actual signage, especially in areas that are completely baked and unlikely to change. We worked with county officials back in Wisconsin on signage for a disc golf course, so have a little experience with that sort of thing.

West Virginia

Just tossing out another suggestion here—related to signage. While riding at Whypass last night, I was thinking that taking night riders into account would be super-user-friendly.

I haven't done enough night riding to know if other trail systems do this, but possibilities include:
    • making any signage reflective
    • mounting 2 very tiny (they'd only need to be 1") reflectors (facing both directions of the road) at all points where trails cross or begin at the road (it occurred to me that it would be easy to miss a trail while zipping along the road at night); reflectors might also be installed at important intersections or easy-to-miss cutoffs or "bail to the road" trails.

I get that whatever we do, it's desirable to avoid cluttering up the forest with junk. But I think this could be done in a useful, yet minimally intrusive way.

Just an idea! 🙂

Scott

West Virginia

Just following up with maps and signage. I posted a while back that I'd be glad to help with this, and maybe a month ago someone (MaxSteel?) emailed to say there was movement on it…but I didn't know how to get back in touch (I couldn't reply to the email).

So if there is some activity on developing a new map and/or signage, I'm still ready and willing to add my GPS-nerd and graphic design skills (Photoshop/Illustrator) to the mix and do some work!

Thanks,
    Scott

Brock

As far as signage goes, BLM has started putting up carsonite (the small flexible ones) markers and have big posts/markers for key intersections in hand already. A few of us have been working with them to ID locations and have the routes make as much sense as possible. As it’s BLM managed land, they are taking the lead on the signage and making of the *new* map. It’s release date is unknown, but this year. Once the official new map is out we’d be interested in making our own MTBer’s map for the system with suggestions on routes/etc. If you’re still available and interested at that point we’ll tap you and see what we can make happen. Thank you for following up and getting involved!

Brock…

West Virginia

Thanks for the update Brock. hopefully the BLM can make it happen!

In the "For what it's worth" category, I don't know who developed the PDF map that's currently posted on the DoD site, but if someone (or multiple people) were to send me GPS tracks for Whypass, I'd be happy to trace them to create a good base map in Adobe Illustrator.

I'm not a GIS guy, and while I realize many maps are produced from GIS software, there's nothing better at making beautiful, graphic maps than Illustrator. And of course any work I might do is the property of DoD as far as I'm concerned—nothing in it for me other than helping the community. *thumbs up*

Scott

PS – I've been wanting to get out and do some trail work (really) but it's tough to take the time with 3- and 5-year-old kids at home. Graphic design-related work is good because I can do it after the kids are in bed on weeknights!

Brock

Outstanding. I’ll be in touch soon-ish. Thank you.

Brock…

S.S.Litson

Hey Scott,

Don't beat yourself up because you currently have a difficult time getting out for trail work. Yes, that's the volunteer effort everyone sees, but that doesn't discount the huge effort behind the scenes that takes place and is just as necessary. I'd love to see a new map. If there's a thing I geek out with its maps.  Hope you get the opportunity soon to show us what you can do. 

Brock

Scott, I sent you a message to the email associated with this account. Please let me know if you received it.

Brock…

bapisazoz
    Participant

Love to comment on Google it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.