Bike rack, what to purchase?

Home Forums Gear Swap Bike rack, what to purchase?

• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Jolly.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I'm in the market for a 4bike hitch mount carrier/rack, any recommendations? 

I'm in the market for a 4bike hitch mount carrier/rack, any recommendations? 

Let us ride!

kimm2222

Evidenced by how many of them you see on mtb’ers rigs these days, you can probably guess which rack most folks are going to recommend: 1up USA. The thing is bombproof—unless you get seriously rear ended. Get the double rack and a couple of extra trays which are easy to pop on and off if you only need that extra bike carrying capacity once in a while. The one downside is the cost. There are no deals, no sales—you can only buy this rack directly from 1up in Wisconsin. 

I remember the same question coming up before and (using the handy search feature on our website’s menu bar) I found this thread:

:kim

Jolly

Honestly the 1UP rack would be my first choice but $1k to carrier 4bikes is outta my price range. 

Since I will be using this on those rare occasions when I shuttling four bikes.

jaewannabe

I have had a Thule T2 for 8 years, when I purchased it was really the only choice for a 4 bike rack. It is pretty heavy but gets the job done, really easy to load bikes. The conversation kit for my fattie was very reasonable. Now that I own a fattie I wonder if any of the other racks would accommodate one

MaxSteel

I like my Yakima, because it has a built in bottle opener.

Just be sure you get a tray style rack.  Bike frames these days demand it.

taylorj

I love my 1upUSA rack, but get the $$$ issue.  Two trays for me, eveyone else has to find their own ride >;)

Peeps love these 
      http://recon-racks.com but again, no small coin and the NS rack has some challenges with what bikes can be used with it. http://www.northshoreracks.com/

…I suspect one could get a sweet utility trailer and put  bike trays in it for under 1K or buy a clapped out old pick up to use for shuttle days and maybe dump runs. Food for thought.

Good luck!

Jolly

Josh,

I seriously thought about the trailer idea with a tailgate pad but since I will be hauling others peoples bikes I figured I should do something a little less redneck.

You mentioned some issues with the Northshore racks, care to elaborate? 

BrandonR

Northshore racks hold bikes by the fork crown and there's no adjustability to it so some MTBs with thick head tubes (Specialized Demo for example) don't fit.  I can't see a road bike fitting on one either due to the shape of the fork crown. 

The best value in a tray style is a toss up between Thule and Yakima based on sales/promotions/deals both are going to last a very long time under normal use and if something does break parts are easy to get.  They won't turn heads like a $1k+ rack though.

Davey Sprockett

Hey Jolly, Roland's old Thule T2 rack is available. Holds 4 bikes. Want me to ask Devin what she wants for it? I know she doesn't have a use for it and it's just taking up space in the garage. 2" receiver. It's in good shape.

Jolly

Davey,

Yes please that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.